Stop being frightened. You only see a monster because they want you to see monsters everywhere. They've conditioned you to look for monsters in every shadow, every coat hung on every door. As long as we keep seeing monsters, we'll continue to need protection and that's how other people get to control our lives.
Memory is the great deceiver. Perhaps there are some individuals whose memories act like tape recordings, daily records of their lives complete in every detail, but I am not one of them. My memory is a patchwork of occurrences, of discontinuous events roughly sewn together: The parts I remember, I remember precisely, whilst other sections seemed to have vanished completely.
But I ask you, those of you who are with us all day, not to stress yourselves out because of us. When you do this, it feels as if you're denying any value at all that our lives may have--and that saps the spirit we need to soldier on. The hardest ordeal for us is the idea that we are causing grief for other people. We can put up with our own hardships okay, but the thought that our lives are the source of other people's unhappiness, that's plain unbearable.
If you have a patient in a doctor's office who's just been told they have terminal cancer but there's this operation they could perform right now that might save their lives, they have a 90 percent chance of surviving the operation. If you tell them that, they respond one way. If you tell them all of that - that they have the 10 percent chance of being killed by the operation, they are about three times less likely to have the operation.
Growing up, my parents were my heroes in the way they conducted their lives. My dad works in child protection. As kids, our experiences shape our opinions on ourselves and the world around us and that's who we become as adults, because of that experience. He's certainly been my hero. A hero is someone who puts themselves on the line and sacrifices their own safety for the greater good and for others. And I think anyone in any sort of profession where the welfare of other people instead of individual is inspiring and important.